Do I have to provide information about my spouse's income?

Questions covered:

Do I have to report my spouse's income?

The short answer is  no. You don't have to.

However, it may be in your interest to file together. We will analyze your situation and advise you of this. This is one of the core services we offer to our clients.

My wife has a green card that has expired but not renounced. What are her tax return options?

Your wife is considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes until she officially renounces the green card.

Therefore she is required to file US tax returns. She can file jointly with you.

I file a joint return with my husband in our resident country. We will file separately in the US. How should I report the tax I paid myself?

Please prorate the tax you paid yourself using the total tax paid by the household at the rate of income distribution between the spouses.

Example: Your spouse earned $80,000 and you earned $20,000. You paid $10,000 joint tax. Pro-rate the tax paid for your share using your joint tax rate of 10% -  i.e. allocate $2,000 to the tax you paid.

I am married to a non-US citizen. Do I have to include their details in the TQ (and by extension my US tax return)?

If you are married, you must file as married and provide the IRS basic details about your spouse.

If your spouse is not a US citizen, information about your spousal income is optional and does not have to be included in your tax return (but doing so may be beneficial to you). This can be discussed with your accountant. We will make sure to take the position most beneficial to you.

I have an interest in a Foreign Partnership owned jointly with my husband.

Husband and wife partnership can be treated on U.S. tax return as a "qualified joint venture" (i.e. you and your husband each report their share of income/expenses on a separate Schedule C as Sole Proprietorship).

If your spouse is a non-US citizen/green card holder and will not be listed on your tax return filed separately, please only report your personal share of income/expenses on the Passive Income > Interest section. To display it, click Change Income Types button at the left, select I'm self-employed/independent contractor, click Next, select I earn interest, then click Close.

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us